Jamaican Beef Pattie Pie Recipe
Three words to describe the Jamaican Beef Patty: crispy, flaky & tasty. Served as a spicy beef filling enveloped in a crispy pastry dough. Yes please, we’ll take 2!
The Jamaican beef patty is a classic Jamaican street food and is a staple in the Jamaican diet – Locals enjoy the delicious pastry at any time of the day whether it’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And this winter, Jamaica Blue has bought this Caribbean classic to your local cafe! Just like a meat pie but Jamaican style. Made with a crispy pastry filled with jerk pulled beef, mushrooms & beans served with BBQ sauce, it’ll be your new lunch favourite!
Why not try and make your own Jamaican patty with our at-home recipe! Or leave it to the experts & try it for yourself at your nearest Jamaica Blue cafe.
Recipe: Jamaican Beef Patty Pie
Makes approximately: 8 Patties
For the Dough –
- 3 cups plain flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. yellow curry powder or turmeric
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 large egg, lightly whisked
For the filling –
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 large brown onion – peeled & sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups button mushrooms – sliced
- 1 tsp. crushed garlic
- 250g Pulled beef – slow cooked (pre-prepared) or beef mince
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 cup Beef stock
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce (preferably Jamaican)
- 1 cup red kidney beans – drained & rinsed
For the Dough
- Add flour, salt, curry powder, and butter to the bowl of a food processor & pulse until mix resembles sand.
- Whisk water, vinegar, and egg together in a small bowl. Add it to flour mixture and pulse until a ball of dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
For the Beef Filling
- Heat the oil in a large pan on a medium heat. Add onions, salt, mushrooms & garlic to the oil & sauté for approx. 1 – 2 minutes until softened & slightly coloured.
- Add the pulled beef or beef mince to the pan & continue to cook until browned, approx. 2 – 3 minutes. Add the curry powder & the stock. Bring back to the boil, simmer until the liquid has reduced by approx. half.
- Next add the BBQ sauce & red kidney beans to the pan, mix through & continue to simmer for further 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from the heat & place into a large bowl to cool down before filling pastry.
To Assemble & Bake
- Flour your kitchen bench and rolling pin. Roll the dough out to approx. 0.5cm thick. Cut the dough into approx. 15cm circles, you can use a small plate or bowl as your cutting guide.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the meat filling onto half of each round pastry disc to fill. Brush the edges of the dough with egg wash.
- Fold dough over the filling to make a half-moon shape. Press edge with a fork to seal. Repeat process until all mix is used up then place patties onto a lined baking tray. Place patties in fridge for 30 – 60 minutes to set before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 180° Bake patties until dough is golden brown and cooked through, about for 25 to 35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Both pastry & beef mix can be made in advance & kept refrigerated before assembly & baking.
- You can also use puff or short pastry sheets instead of making pastry & cut out circles using the same method as above. Brush patties all over with a whisked egg mixed with curry powder or turmeric prior to baking for that yellow colour.
- Pre-cooked pulled beef can be purchased from most good supermarkets.